Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Friday 5 August 2011

In the spirit of of Max...

In the late 19th / early 20th century there was a writer, critic, caricaturist named Max Beerbohm. Max was a Londoner, travelled in the theatre circle and was friends with George Bernard Shaw. Max had a sense of humour. He was once asked how he wrote his book reviews. He answered (I'm paraphrasing). "I look at the book, write the review and, if I like the review, I'll read the book."

At some point in the late 20th / early 21st century movie descriptions and trailers stopped being teasers to pique interest. In written form, a synopsis is often cliché, vague or uninspired. In movie trailer form they often give away the entire movie. The latter does save one the cost of admission, but I prefer 2 hours of escapism over 2 minutes of escapism - call me old school.
 
Thus, in the spirit of Max Beerbohm, this blog will review movie descriptions, comment on them and, if I agree with my comments, I'll see the movie.
 
Please note: I will only review descriptions from sources such as Cinema Clock and IMDB. Out of respect, I will not criticize the work of those who actually get paid to criticize. Open season on everyone else; myself included. 

No comments:

Post a Comment