Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Thursday 28 March 2013

G.I. Joe: Retaliation

I liked it when it was called, The Losers.  Remember that movie?  CIA operatives betrayed by their superiors then spend the rest of the film kicking ass. It starred Zoe Saldana and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.  Morgan was awesome as the sociopath Comedian in Watchmen, a personal favourite.

Kind of like Ghost Protocol and the newest crap Bond film...

The trailer for G.I. Joe: Retaliation shows Jonathon Pryce as the President of the United States.  In the first scene he's in he looks creepy.  He reminded me of the character he played in, Something Wicked this way Comes.  He was, though, quite lovable in the Terry Gilliam classic, Brazil.  But I digress...

I like Dwayne Johnson.  He played a gay, wannabe actor, enforcer tough guy in that crap Travolta movie, Be Cool, which was the sequel to Get Shorty.  Dwayne was freaking hilarious.  He seems like a good guy.

Where was I?

The Trailer for G.I. Joe: Retaliation provided nothing new, original, thought provoking or interesting.  It was a ton of the same old, same old followed by an ageing Bruce Willis struggling ever so hard to maintain that tough  guy persona.  It just seems so forced, like the struggle one has when constipated.

But you know what?

I couldn't help but love the trailer.  I know, I know, then why slam it?

It just looked great.  The action was non-stop.  The story, while apparently the same old, same old, took the betrayal theme to the highest level.  The President is now the bad guy.  An order from the President takes the G.I. Joe team out.  Buy why?  What evil underhanded plan could the guy who plays the devil in Something Wicked this way Comes possibly have?  In bed with China? That's kind of what it looks like, but why? Power, money, greed?  Not world domination? It can't be! No!

YES!!!

The world will be saved this time, not by 007, not by Superman or Spider Man or Batman.  The world will be saved by the remaining G.I. Joe's.  It actually kind of makes sense. I mean if a bunch of teenagers and a few soldiers can take on the North Korean and Russian armies in, Red Dawn, doesn't it stand to reason that the G.I. Joe's could easily save the world against some assassins who know Karate?

I'm a sucker for action movies.  I am also - as you can see - critical of action movies.  Despite my rantings and the flaws in story that the G.I. Joe: Retaliation trailer expressed.  It looked freaking cool and entertaining as hell.

I look forward to seeing this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment