Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Wednesday 20 March 2013

VIEWED: Django Unchained

My trailer review for this one said...

"All that to say that the trailer for Django Unchained looked, cool, fun and entertaining despite being longer than 2 minutes. Mr. Tarantino, this looks like a good movie.  I'm sure I will see it."

I saw it last night.

It was better than the trailer.

The comedy, story and even the typical Tarantino over-the-top violence made Django Unchained highly entertaining.  That said, I know that hyperbole when it comes to blood is almost a trademark of Tarantino's, but some of the violence was beyond gratuitous.  I realize a point was being made but does adding comedy to extreme violence make the violence more palatable? Maybe.

Django Unchained could have been divided  into two movies.  Django Unchained Part 1 and Django Unchained Part 2.

I realized that during Django Unchained Part 1 - the liberation of Django followed by the evolution of Django the bounty hunter - completely absorbed my attention and I did not move from my seat.  I don't even remember eating my popcorn but I assure you it was emptied.  It was that riveting.

Django Unchained Part 2 - the bounty hunter with a heart helping his liberated slave partner liberate his enslaved wife - was over the top in so many ways.  That's not to say that it wasn't entertaining, it was, but it had a more Kill Bill feel.  During part 2 I remembered reaching for my dwindling popcorn and shifting in my seat.

Christoph Waltz is awesome in both parts.

As a whole, this was a very good movie. I'm glad I saw it and of the three Oscar Best Picture films that I've seen (and I will never see Amour or Les Miserables), this is the best so far.




1 comment:

  1. Your popcorn disappeared because I was eating it.

    ReplyDelete