Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Tuesday 12 March 2013

VIEWED: Identity Theft

My trailer review for this one said...

"...So, let me see if I understand this. A man's identity is stolen. So, he goes after the thief and hilarity, danger and general chaos ensues. They develop a bond and work together to foil a greater crime of sorts..."

The wife dragged me to the local cinema to watch this one.  The cinema in our neighbourhood is, in my opinion, the best cinema in the world.  Well, maybe not the best but damn good.  It's never busy, they play first run movies, they have 5 decent-sized theatres and they are not part of a mega-plex conglomerate so their prices are reasonable.  I just don't understand how they stay in business.  Even on cheap Tuesdays, the theatres are never full.  Tonight there were 12 people watching Identity Theft.  Maybe that had something to do with the movie.

It was pretty much how I described the trailer, only the criminals were after her.

Bateman is so good as the straight man.  Melissa McCarthy was annoyingly funny, just like the trailer.  I still don't get why he had to chase here down.  They didn't elaborate on why the credit card companies weren't contacted about the fraud and the police explanation - inter-state jurisdiction issues was really weak, even if it was based on fact. 

I am bothered that this movie made light of something as destructive as identity theft.  This is a rant for another time...

The movie also seemed to drag on for hours. For the first half of it I stared blankly at the stupid gags and situations. Then, it wore me down and I smirked. By the end, I may have even smiled.

I asked the wife what she thought.  She said, "it was much better than I thought it would be."

She looked at me and said, "well?"

I responded. "I liked it when it ended."

I meant it. 

I kind of feel like Identity Theft stole two hours from me that I'll never get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment