Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Saturday 22 October 2011

VIEWED: The Thing (1982)

In between watching season one of Dead Like Me, my day job, family, community work and trying to get through the pilot of American Horror Story, I watched the John Carpenter version of The Thing.

My recommendation for the new version of "The Thing" was....

"It doesn't look different enough for me to want to see it. I will, however, look for the John Carpenter version and watch it just to see if they make reference to the prequel team."

Well, in the very beginning of the Carpenter version, the prequel team arrives in a panic and then quickly dies.  We do discover that a Norwegian team does extract the creature and the 1982 team is now stuck with it.  However, unless everyone dies in the 2011 version of The Thing, then it's not a true prequel.

The 1982 version is a brilliant exercise in suspense, paranoia and fear.  I really enjoyed it.  The quote: It's better to remake a bad movie then it is to remake a good movie badly, is not mine.  It belongs to my friend, Huss, who just sent me this commentary on the 2011 version of The Thing.  I think it addresses his own quote. Now, I don't need to see it.

"Here's the problem & you can quote me; there is true clever & there is impulse or stoned clever. True clever means the idea has lasted through a hangover & it's actually good. Impulse clever is not waiting for the hangover test & going through with it.

The Thing 2011 is the perfect example of filmmakers staying drunk & keeping up impulse clever.

Here's what you need to ask yourself after you watch the impulse clever prequel; how did the Norwegians chopper over to Carpenter's crew? Where did the dog come from? And if the alien is so vicious & unrelenting, why would it be running away?"

Enough said.  The Thing (1982) is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment