Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Monday 10 October 2011

NOT VIEWED BY ME: Real Steel

A reader has viewed and reviewed Real Steel and was kind enough to send it to me.  I will add my P.S. once (if) I see the film whose trailer I completely hated.   

Please note:  The views in this review do not necessarily reflect the views of Beerbohmtastic because I haven't seen the film yet.  Thank you for sending this.

Via email:

Subject Line: VIEWED: Real Steel

"Real Steel" IS "Rocky", make no mistake.

But in an age where originality is as rare as a safe oil tanker, we must suffer with the best re-envisioning, re-imagining that the mediocre talent producing studio movies has to offer. Having spit that like cobra venom, I will say this; as a new millennium "Rocky", "Real Steel" works on every level.

Hugh Jackman & Evangeline Lily are, as the aforementioned premise & plot, exactly what you expect them to be. And say what you will about the "festive" & oft paycheck driven Hugh Jackman, that  sumbitch is one entertaining bastard.

But the real star here is Dakota Goyo*, who plays Max Kenton the estranged son if Hugh Jackman's character. I preface this by saying, I don't like kids. In real life or on screen, not a fan of children. This kid though, got my attention. If Ryan Reynolds had half the acting chops & a quarter the charisma of Dakota Goyo, he would still be an asshole but at least a better performer.

I applaud & bow to the makers of "Real Steel" for knowing how to throw the same old shit in our faces & make it smell like an almost fresh rose. On an entertainment scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, I'd have to honestly give "Real Steel" a solid 7.

I mentioned I really hate kids though, right?

*Dakota Goyo or his management, if you ever read this, what the hell? Do you hate this kid(you) & want him to be face down in front if the Viper Room in four years? Change his(your) name.  

No comments:

Post a Comment