Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Martha Marcy May Marlene

I do like alliteration...

The first thing I do when I'm about to watch a trailer is check the duration of the trailer.  If it's more than 2 minutes long, I add further judgment by assuming that it will give too much away and thus, not worth my viewing.  So, not only do I judge a movie by its trailer, I sometimes judge a trailer by its duration.  In The Book of Matthew (New Testament), somewhere near the beginning, we are told to, "judge not, lest ye be judged."  There are so many ways to judge and misjudge... but you be the judge or Miss Judge.

There was a quiet intensity to the trailer for this film.  The story is about a young woman who was a member of a cult-type group (unclear if by choice), somehow gets out and is taken in by her sister and brother-in-law.  She is clearly distraught and struggles with both clear and vague memories of her experiences.  One could say dreamlike or even nightmarish. 

We ocassionally hear about abductions and involvement with cults and, should the victims survive, hear only about their return to their families.  Rarely do we hear about the re-adjustment into the family or what effects do the victim's experiences have on themselves and their loved ones. 

I know of a young girl that was abducted by some evil people, forced to take drugs and prostitute herself.  After six months the police found her and reunited her with her mother.  Two years later I heard that she still struggles with addictions and hasn't been able to heal from her ordeal.  Very tragic.

The trailer seems to weave between Martha Marcy May Marlene's current situation (away from the "cult") and her experiences with the "cult."  Before too much is given away, the trailer ends.  I was very impressed that I didn't look at the timer once. This film looks like a good one.

Whether I view this on a big screen or not, I fully intend to see this film.  But, as they say, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions..."

No comments:

Post a Comment