Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Friday 31 May 2013

Star Trek into Darkness

In total, this is the twelfth Star Trek movie.  Films one through six had colons in their titles.  Star Trek: The Motion picture, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier... etc.  Star Trek 7 didn't.  It was just called Star Trek Generations, but 8 had the colon again.  Star Trek: First Contact.  Star Trek 11, the remake prequel of the original didn't have a colon and now the first sequel in the remake prequel series doesn't either.  In the history of the series this is the first time there have been back to back titles without colons.  Nerdy much?

Benedict Cumberbatch was the best part of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  The film was like staring at a dry, colourless canvass. Benedict was the only splash of colour.  He was good as Sherlock Holmes, too.

When I reviewed Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy I commented about how dry it was and that I felt thirsty watching it... I received a comment from a reader on my review...

"I liked it. I think Benedict Cumberbatch is f**king phenomenal in it. (Then again, when is he ever not.) Your review displeases me. I am now going to glare at my computer and hope you feel my wrath."

Clearly he has a fan base, at least one...

It was cool seeing him in the trailer for this colon-less titled Star Trek movie.  He was a badass: cold and ruthless.  While Chris Pine is no William Shatner, William Shatner is no Chris Pine.  In fairness, Pine's Kirk is the remake prequel Kirk, which means younger and less experienced, but no less cocky.  Zachary Quinto plays Spock like Leonard Nimoy played Spock -  which is the only way to play Spock.  Zoe Saldana.  Say no more.

I think I liked the remake prequel, Star Trek.  At least I don't remember disliking it.  I generally like this type of sci-fi.  It's fun, kind of epic and, while the stories are pretty much the same, they are usually entertaining.  You know, madman wants to take over or destroy the world because he has a gripe with the establishment, or the government or the USS Enterprise or he hates Captain Kirk or his daddy/uncle/mentor.

And, when all appears lost, the Enterprise and it's crew will rise from the ashes (or the water like in the trailer) and kick ass because as I've said before, the good guys are always supposed to win.

While the trailer had all the big budget epic action I'm not sure if it was good or not.  Mainly because I think any trailer for Star Trek, regardless of quality couldn't prevent me from seeing remake prequel sequel Star Trek 2 without the colon.

Yeah, I hope to see this movie soon.

1 comment:

  1. "While the trailer had all the big budget epic action I'm not sure if it was good or not. Mainly because I think any trailer for Star Trek, regardless of quality couldn't prevent me from seeing remake prequel sequel Star Trek 2 without the colon."

    Outside of the Good Book, this is the BEST paragraph that I have read all year--and it's true... so true.

    ReplyDelete