Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Wednesday 14 November 2012

Dark Arc (2004)

This trailer was sent to me (thanks, James), and as I do with everything that is sent to me, I read it, view it, or listen to it.... Please continue to send stuff and I promise that I will eventually get to all of it.

What I do on this blog is easy.  Creative works, regardless of what any critic says, are borne from passion, desire, vision, imagination, ambition, drive.... some, more, or all of the above. And I have the utmost respect for those who create and open themselves up to ones who can't create, so choose to criticise.... hello!  Okay, group hug.

The trailer for Dark Arc made think of Atom Egoyan, David Cronenberg, David Lynch and Canada.  Three out of four ain`t bad.... YOU guess.

I remember when I saw Atom Egoyan's, Exotica.  The first half of the film was filled with implied depravities and innuendos that seemed too disturbing to be depicted in the film.  It led the viewer down a dark and ugly path only to pull back as if to say, how could you think that way, while almost imposing the sadness of the characters on the viewer.  It was a skillful piece of film making, an exercise in manipulation, and Mia Kirshner was smoking hot.

There were elements of being led down a dark and ugly path in the trailer for Dark Arc.  There were also elements that made me think it may not be taking itself too seriously.  What I was able to gauge from the trailer is that there are two rivals of sorts who are in love/lust with the same woman. 

For some reason that other 'two rivals in love with the same woman' crap trailer, This Means War, popped into my head. I'm not comparing the two because the Dark Arc trailer, at least, wasn't annoying. When I reviewed the trailer for This Means War, I closed with:

"I am so annoyed by this trailer that I think I will actually see This Means War. It's fun being wrong, but even more fun being right."

The wife saw This Means War, I couldn't bring myself to see it. When I asked her what she thought about it she said, "it was crap." 

Oh yeah, Dark Arc...

At certain points in the under 2 minute trailer (this is a good thing) I felt that it was trying too hard to emit a Lynch or Cronenberg feel, that and the sense that this is a Canadian art film, Egoyan style.  Regardless, it was an odd trailer that had a strange charm. 

It looks like the film was made in 2004 but is now available on cable on-demand.  TRAILER HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPeG4EFZ4ZM

No comments:

Post a Comment