Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Thursday 23 February 2012

Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy

I know this film has been out for a while, but the wife and me and a few friends are seeing it tomorrow night so I figured I'd review the trailer.  I was actually surprised that this movie was still playing.  For the record, I wanted to see Safe House because it was the least unfavourable trailer review I'd written in a while. Yeah, sad, I know.

The trailer for this one was a slow whodunit teaser.  Watching the trailer you learn there's a high-level mole in MI6 - or whatever the intelligence service is - and you see snippets of spy stuff happening.  I trust the movie will be 2 hours of spy stuff until the mole is revealed.  While you expect a smart tale of espionage, treason and betrayal from the mind of John LeCarre, the trailer looked really, really dry.  I was actually thirsty when it ended.

Mark Strong is in this one. 

The first time I saw Gary Oldman, he was opposite Tim Roth in the film adaptation of the Tom Stoppard play, Rosengrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.  If you haven't seen it, go rent it, or torrent it.  It's hilarious in a Shakespearean way (again, f**k off Anonymous).  While these two bumbling servants of Hamlet (yes, Shakespeare's play) float along cluelessly, the actual story of Hamlet is going on in the background.  Oldman and Roth are genius.

Mark Strong always plays the bad guy in movies.

Gary Oldman is brilliant and versatile and it's great to see him in a leading role.  He's made tons of movies and I haven't seen them all, or most for that matter but... Who didn't love his Rastaman killer in True Romance?  Who didn't love his psycho corrupt cop in The Professional?  As Dracula in Bram Stoker's Dracula?  He stole every seen, even when he wasn't on screen.  He even played Sid Vicious in Sid and Nancy. 

Despite the dry trailer, I have no doubt that Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy will be an entertaining, multi-layered and suspenseful story that will keep the audience guessing as to who the mole is until the very end.

I think Mark Strong is the mole.

1 comment:

  1. This movie was like being stuck behind an old guy with a walker when you're in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete