Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Thursday 15 August 2013

The Wolverine

I really like X-Men. I really like the film franchise, too.

Is this the sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine? I like that the title, The Wolverine, confuses me.  It's not called X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2, or too, or also...  The message I read is that this familiar title may or may not be a sequel or stand-alone. Confusing.

X-Men: First Class, which I really liked, should have been called X-Men Origins: X-Men. Why isn't there an X-Men Origins: Storm, or X-Men Origins: Jean Grey, or X-Men Origins: Cyclops?

I'll tell you why, because the other characters, with the exception of Professor Xavier and Magneto, are two dimensional where Wolverine is multi-dimensional.  Wolverine is my favourite.  Wolverine's story is the coolest. There is something classic about the anti-hero.  His struggles mirror our struggles, but on a larger scale of course.  His inner battle is our inner battle - good, evil, right, wrong - struggling with ourselves, our identities and our purpose.  If you have a conscience and a soul you understand the importance of Wolverine.

The trailer is pretty good. It's one of those rare trailers that didn't seem too long even though it is well over 2 minutes.  It has a Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3 spirit to it.  You know, just when the hero is down, he's up again, stronger than ever.  The old, you have to hit rock bottom before you can rise to become more than what you are... "forwards not backwards, upwards not forwards and forever twirling, twirling...."

The coolest part of the trailer is when Wolverine squares off against what looks to be a robot.  It made me think of Real Steel, which I begrudgingly liked.  It also made me think of monsters vs. robots as in Pacific Rim... sigh.

I enjoyed the trailer very much and even if I didn't, nothing could stop me... not even the wife... from seeing The Wolverine.


No comments:

Post a Comment