Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Monday 12 December 2011

Shame

A man addicted to sex isn't new.  Exploring why a man is addicted to sex isn't really new either.  Having a man who is addicted to sex face why he is addicted to sex and that the addiction comes from a dark, perhaps painful or traumatic place.... well maybe that isn't new either.  At least, though, Shame isn’t a remake, prequel or sequel. It appears to be an attempt for a deeper understanding of an often trivialized issue. 

The stereotypical sex addict male in movies is a pig, a slut, and often portrayed humorously. But, after he meets the right girl, he realizes the error of his ways and how wrong it was to treat objects like women.... or women like objects and is somehow absolved by his new commitment to... well, commitment. 

The stereotype (see most Adam Sandler movies and Harlequin Romances) is shallow, trivial, and disrespectful to both men and women AND, is really not that funny.  It's not for me to judge - I spent many years as a musician - but I think it's important to have to face the emotional baggage that motivates our less honorable actions, at least at some point in our lives. 

I'm by no means a psychologist, but I would imagine that the need for constant gratification must stem from a lonely, unfulfilled place.  Maybe it's just the mood I'm in but I think this examination of shame in the movie Shame is a good thing.  It'll be even better if it's executed well.

I've seen Michael Fassbender in two films and liked them both.  He was good as the pompous Brit spy in Inglorious Basterds and he was very believable as a young Magneto in X-Men First Class.  The dude can act. 

All this to say that the trailer for Shame makes the film look interesting, thought provoking and perhaps uncomfortably emotional for both men and women.

I'll wait until I'm in the right mood and then watch Bitter Moon by Roman Polanski... I mean go see Shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment