Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Mirror Mirror

"I definitely have a happily ever after thing going on..."  Says the evil (yet comical queen) in this adaptation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, played by Julia Roberts.

It's funny that she says it because during the 2+ minute trailer, I'm thinking that this film is just like the Cinderella movie with Drew Barrymore, Ever After.  It's a girl power story where the damsel isn't distressed by her distress and empowers herself to kick ass.  In case you are wondering why I know this, I watched it with my daughter. 
 
This movie comes out on the heals of Snow White and the Huntsman, which I hadn't seen, but reviewed the trailer in November 2011.  Imagine my confusion when I tried to find a review for it and discovered that it will not be released until June 2012.

Was it released, bombed at the box office and now will be re-released?  Am I going crazy?  Help me out.

Regardless, there are a slew of fairy tale movie remakes on the way... Beauty and the Beast, another Snow White, another Sleeping Beauty and also one called Maleficent (she's the evil witch in Sleeping Beauty).  And there are more, but you look them up...

Are there no comic books or graphic novels left?  Is the world of film now reduced to remaking fairy tales with "twists?"  Just for the record, there are no real twists in any of these and, NO, dark story-telling is not a twist.  All those fairy tales were dark to begin with.

Eric Roberts is kind of creepy.  I liked him in The Pope of Greenwich Village, though.

Julia Roberts is very charming on screen.  I'm not a huge fan, not because of her acting, but because of some of her films. 

Bob Roberts was a political satire with Tim Robbins.  He was awesome as Nuke La Louche in Bull Durham.

Movies like Mirror Mirror are like garnishes on your plate (parsley, a pickle, a wedge of orange) that you know are there, don't have a lot of substance, but you still eat but don't often think about or truly enjoy.

To quote my late friend Mark (rest his soul), "I'll teach you a lesson you'll soon forget."  Mirror Mirror applies.

No comments:

Post a Comment