Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Friday 18 May 2012

Battleship

I trust every review, even a trailer review, will start with reference to the board game, Battleship.  I never owned it but played it when I was a kid.  That's all.

Watching the trailer, I kept thinking of that Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck movie, Armageddon.  Remember that one?  Captain of oil rig, Bruce, hates Ben for many reasons but mostly because Ben is dating his daughter... then they have to work together to save the world.  But I think the tagline was: Hey, you sunk my meteor! I remember it being very entertaining.

So, Liam Neesan.  I like this guy.  He's an ageing bad ass and he's a solid actor.  I liked his real accent better - somewhere from the U.K., I think?  Taylor Kitsch.  I didn't see John Carter, haven't seen any of his shows and I don't remember him from anything else that he's listed on.

I heard that Disney took a beating from John Carter.  A similar beating to the one the martians took from John Carter in the film... only financial.  Maybe it was the title or the marketing.  I haven't seen it yet but I heard it was pretty good.  A reader, Lightening, commented:

Wicked, awesome movie. Better than Attack of the Clones.  Solid acting, original story, funny. Best Sci-fi I've seen since Avatar. Too bad the marketing dept. screwed up the sale.

Disney is, arguably, one of the greatest marketing machines on the planet.  I love Walt Disney World.  I don't think that one box office flop will slow Disney down too much, and I'm sure The Avengers will more than make up for the marketing mistake of John Carter.  Now, I really want to rent John Carter.

Battleship, the trailer:  to be honest, it looks like a really dumb action movie.  While the action did look kind of cool in an alien invasion, except by sea, sort of way, the dialogue in the trailer was so cliche it was laughable. Though I sometimes enjoy a dumb action movie, this trailer didn't really grab me.

A new video store opened in my neighbourhood.  It has actually been around for a while but I hadn't noticed it as months after the local Blockbuster closed down, I still stared longingly at the empty blue and yellow structure... please read my Blockbuster editorial http://beerbohmtastic.blogspot.ca/2011/10/editorial-good-bye-blockbuster.html

My point to that is the wife has been dropping into the new (always had been there) video store and has been bringing home shit because I think she's forgotten the process of movie rental selection.  Everyone has there own process... come on... admit it.

Battleship will be on the list of "if you can't decide on a movie, just get this one" movies to watch.  Then when it ends I can say, "hey, you sucked you battleshit!" 





No comments:

Post a Comment