Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Friday 18 January 2013

Les Misérables

Les Misérables is the fifth of nine films nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. As the films are listed alphabetically on the Oscar website, reviews will be in alphabetical order.

I know that the Victor Hugo classic from 1862 is considered one of the greatest novels of the 19th Century.

I know that it has been produced in theatrical form for decades.

I know that there have been films made going back to 1934.  There was even a TV movie in 1978 and a TV mini-series in 2000.

So, one would think that I, as an avid reader (well, I used to be) and a lover of (mostly) all film would have read the classic novel or at least viewed one of the many versions of Les Misérables.

Nope.

I don't even know what it's about.  It brings to mind what I heard an old, British woman once say, "how could it be famous if I've never heard of it?"

When I clicked on the trailer I noticed it was only 1:31.  That's a good length for a solid teaser.

Given that I don't know anything about Les Misérables and never really paid attention, the trailer told me nothing - and I kind of feel stupid not knowing.  I think the trailer makes the assumption that everyone knows the story and another version of it with a solid cast will give both old fans and new fans an opportunity to have the Les Misérables "experience."  And generate revenue, of course.

Les Misérables is a musical.   The wife will likely rent it at some point and bring it home and ask me nicely to watch it with her.  We will sit down with our popcorn and drinks and during the first song I will mock the singing and she will ask that I be quiet or leave the room.  I will likely smile, thank her and leave the room.

I really don't care for musicals and I'll be surprised if the 9th remake of Les Misérable wins an Oscar.

2 comments:

  1. Kevin Costner should do a sequel to Mr. Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be called, Mr. Brooks Also, or Mr. Brooks Too or Also Mr. Brooks.
    Thanks for your comments and thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete