Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Saturday 1 December 2012

Killing Them Softly

It's been a while since I went on a rant...

The more I am exposed to creative independent film (trailers), the more mainstream film trailers look ridiculous to me. The trailer for Killing Them Softly annoyed me for many reasons.  Where shall I begin?

Every character in this film is an asshole.  Why is it that Hollywood continues to glorify criminal behaviour and any form of morality or decency is reduced to a code for a criminal with a bit of a conscience?  If the statement is that all humans are inherently bad, and that we have brief flashes of decency, then the message is old, stupid and very tired.

Yes, I know that Hollywood produces good stuff, too, but not here.

In an effort to be cool, Hollywood sometimes has a wonderful ability to make things, pointlessly ugly.  The trailer for Killing Them Softly was just plain, pointlessly ugly. Add that it reminded me of an episode of The Sopranos (which I loved), and add that nothing about it seemed interesting, entertaining or even remotely original and, according to Beerbohmtastic, you have a shit trailer.

I think it even tried to display some comedy, but it was such a lame attempt - almost too cool an attempt - that it was acknowledged in my mind as simply, lame.

Brad Pitt is a superstar, a very good actor and a strong screen presence.  Ray Liotta is the same, albeit ageing.  James Gandolfini is the reason I got cable and when The Sopranos ended, I cancelled my cable.   No issues with this cast, I really like all three of them.

It doesn't really matter to me if this film is any good.  The trailer tried so hard to be cool that was just plain cold.

Inhale....exhale....inhale...exhale....

Now that I'm calm, I'm thinking that this might be a nominee for a 2013 Beerbohm Award for Worst Trailer.





1 comment:

  1. No good guys in Sons of Anarchy either....

    ReplyDelete