Welcome

Please email any comments or review requests to beerbohmtastic@gmail.com.
Follow Beerbohmtastic on Twitter @beerbohmtastic.

Monday 4 June 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman...



I swear this film has been released and re-released three times now... here's what I wrote when I reviewed the trailer in November of last year...

After watching the trailer for Snow White and the Huntsman, another trailer caught my eye called, Mirror Mirror.  I watched that one, too.  Mirror Mirror is a comedy of sorts and a kind of twist like Drew Barrymore's Ever After: A Cinderella Story.  It's kind of annoying how two movies with basically the same story are released around the same time.  It happens every so often, but that's not what I'm reviewing...

Snow White and the Huntsman looks pretty damn cool.  The original Brother's Grimm story wasn't the light Disney story.  It was a harsh look at vanity and envy served with cruelty and supernatural elements - no mention of dwarfs in the trailer.  One of the elements of a "fairy tale" is the happy ending.   I've heard that early, original "fairy tales" were created to scare kids into choosing a righteous path.  I wonder what the modern equivalent is?

Charlize Theron.  She looks great as the evil queen.  She's made some good movies and was intense in her Oscar winning performance in Monster.  The problem is that every time I see her, now, I think of the character she played in Arrested Development.  She played, Rita, a developmentally delayed (not sure if that's the politically correct term) love interest of Michael.  She was funny and cute and it further showed her versatility, especially after Monster.  I just hope that I don't think of Rita and giggle while the evil queen in Snow White and the Huntsman is trying to scare me.

While I trust Snow White and the Huntsman will stick to its fairy tale roots and have the happy ending, I like the dark medieval feel and am curious as to how it will play out. The trailer kind of reminded me of Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings.  While I doubt Snow White will be as epic, I get the sense that it'll be an entertaining spin.

I think I'll see this one on the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment